The Saskatchewan Organic Directorate is a non-profit, membership-based, umbrella organization that unites the province's producers, processors, buyers, traders, certifiers and consumers of certified organic food and fibre.
To champion the development of organic agriculture in a democratic manner
Food for Life
We believe in
Producing healthy food and fibre without the use of synthetic fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, antibiotics, growth hormones, irradiation, sewage sludge, and genetically altered materials.
Building soil, enhancing crops, managing weeds, insects and disease, by using methods like cultural practices, crop rotations, naturally occurring organisms, green-manuring, tree-planting, livestock, and composting.
Practicing humane livestock management techniques.
Maintaining a system of standards, annual inspection/certification and record-keeping to ensure integrity of the product.
Making the connection between food production and consumption, and keeping that distance as short as possible.
Building an equitable food system, with good food and fair compensation.
Our initiatives provide
- A source for organic production, research information and public education.
- A forum that brings together producers and other players in the organic food system, including governments and government agencies.
- Research into, and development of, sustainable practices for organic agriculture.
- Planning and presentation of extension education.
- Representation of the industry on important policy issues.
- Public information and education.
For details, read the SOD Recent Activities and Achievements Report, October 2006 (pdf 244 KB)